Benefits of Working with Convention and Visitors Bureaus
In the meetings and events industry, fostering great, long-term relationships means everything. Managing all the moving parts that make up an event is a cumbersome task. From venues, catering, and hotel rooms, to transportation, parking, and off-site event logistics, having partners an event planner can trust is essential to their success. That’s where Convention and Visitors Bureaus (CVBs) come in handy. Not only are they marketers who know their city like the back of their hands, they also work with local vendors and venues regularly. They’re well connected. And almost nothing benefits event planners more than connections.
CVBs can be a corporate meeting planner’s best friend for numerous reasons. Let us count the ways…
- CVBs will save you money. When we say almost nothing benefits event planners more than connections, we are referring to cost savings; which is the number one reason to partner with a CVB. CVBs are not-for-profit organizations primarily funded by the local governments in which they reside and some supplement income from membership dues from local hotels, restaurants, attractions, and other businesses that benefit from tourism. Additionally, if you need to visit a destination prior to selection, qualified buyers may benefit from assistance with travel expenses through FAM trips. The good news for meeting planners is that they offer complimentary and invaluable resources in exchange for simply hosting your event in their city.
- CVBs will do some of the footwork for you. CVBs give planners access to a wide range of services within their destinations, including but not limited to, arranging site inspections, checking hotel and meeting space availability, and linking planners to expert local service providers. And the best part is, they’ve all already been vetted. CVBs and their destination experts serve as extensions of your planning team.
- CVBs can provide staffing. Need help working registration tables, ushering guests, taking tickets, stuffing welcome packets, etc.? Look no further than your CVB; they will happily coordinate your staffing needs. No more hassling with temporary staffing agencies and the like. CVBs have a regular pool of people they can tap into to make your event run smoothly.
- CVBs know how to access unique experiences. CVBs know – and love – their destinations. Whether you’re looking for unique activities, museum docent tours, or one-of-a-kind venues for off-site excursion, your local CVB will connect you to the right vendors; providing your attendees with experiences they’re sure to remember.
- CVBs know the destination’s calendar of events. They know what’s going on in and around the city all year long. If you don’t want to compete with other events for hotel rooms, meeting spaces, and other venues, your CVB will help you pick the ideal date for your event.
Convention and Visitor Bureaus do more than just promote their town, city or region to increase tourism. They also love to work with corporate meeting and event planners for events of all sizes. The best part is that it’s FREE. So, why not make them a part of your team!